Faasle X Mann Mayal

I always felt too close to music. The melody, the lyrics, the voice... a perfect combination of all these ingredients is the recipe for creating a good song. Every now and then I am left in a state of surprise by the impact music leaves on me. Especially if it is a tale of tragedy. It is these few moments in life that I feel humanly with emotions.

Tragedy as a genre itself hits quite hard and "Faasle" is one of my favourite songs amongst this kind. The Coke Studio's Season 10 song is voiced by supremely talented QB and Kaavish. It is a narrative of separation and pain, which I feel draws parallels to the story of the Pak Drama Mann Mayal.

Amidst all the toxic and violent entertainment content, there are songs like Faasle, which handles separation poetically beautifully. In the world full of people unable to handle rejections and resorting to abuse of either self or the opposite person; both MM and Faasle redefine the true meaning of love. This is a topic I never understood, but it there exists an emotion as strong and pious, I want it to be of this kind.

Love like this where one doesn't care about anything else as much as the happiness of the other person. This is indeed the story of Salahuddin and Manahil in MM. Our protagonists fall in love but owing to the disparity in the financial statuses of the two families, Sala decides to not pursue marriage with Manahil and instead gets her wedded to another rich guy. 


But Manahil fights with all her family for Sala, leaves her house and comes to his doorstep. But Sala doesn't open the door, leaving her estranged and forced to return home.

```  Tere vaste, sabhi raste, chod ke main aayi yaha  ```

Translation: I abandoned everything for you. I burnt all my boats to come to you  

```  Tu toh na mila, yunhi chal diya, leke mera dil jaane tu kahan  ```

Translation: But you never became mine. You simply left me somewhere by taking away my heart with you.


------------------

```  Jaa raha hoon mai  ```

Translation: I am saying goodbye

-----------------


Despite this harsh decision, Sala always cared for Manahil and all that he wanted was her to be happy. He tries with all his might to help her marriage work with a gambler, by even secretly taking care of her kids. Sala cared for her through all those years, even when he knew Manahil was married and has two children. He was by her side while she was kicked out by her husband and was trying to fix the broken marriage.

```  Meri yeh dua hai ke tera Jeevan yunhi, chaltha rahe, saari kwahishein ho poori   ``` 

Translation: I pray fervently that you continue to prosper in life and that all your hopes and dreams come true.

```  Mujhe jo kushi mili na kabhi, jaayein tere sang, jaayein tu jaha   ``` 

Translation: The happiness that was always beyond my reach, may you be blessed with it, wherever you go.


Sala tries to move on with his life, and gets engaged to another girl. But deep down he has always loved Manahil and realises how unjust it would be for the other woman.

```  Yaad hai much teri har adah, muskurahatein teri   ```

Translation: Your each and every moment is etched in my heart, even the way you smile at me

```  Sapnon mai tu, sochon mai tu, har lamhe Mai tu  ```

Translation: You are in my dreams when I'm asleep and in my thoughts when I'm awake. At each and every moment, you are with me.

```  Dadke ye dil tere hi liye, hoga kisi ka na ab yeh  ```

Translation: My heart beats for no one but you. Now, it will never belong to anyone else.


It was after her divorce, one day when Sala was hospitalised, Manahil confessed and he realised how deeply she still cares for him. He apologises for his cowardly act of abandoning her and begs her for another chance. And she does forgive him as she knows how painful it would be otherwise, and of course, because she also loves him. 




~ Wonder Writes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ALIF - A story of love and spirituality